Sunday, March 25, 2012

Battery tips for iPhone 4S


I've been asked a few times about battery settings for the iphone. Specifically the 4S appearing to not have as long a battery life as the previous model. The iPhone 4S has a few extra features which can draw more power, however if you dont use these features, turning them off can really help to make the phone last longer on a single charge.

My record is currently 14 hours, straight, with heavy useage.

First turn off the settings below.




In General/Usage settings, turn on the battery percentage indicator.




Turn off 'Raise to Speak' this appears to be the one option that makes the most difference to power usage. I also took the opportunity to pop into 'Notification' settings to stop some apps notifying me, although this does not save much in the way of power.

Location Serices can remain on, as the GPS is only engaged when needed. Also there is no point having a location aware device, if you turn off all location services. It is a good idea to turn the location status bar icon on, so that you can see when GPS services are being used.

Using geofence facilities will require more battery power, such as asking the phone something like "remind me to buy milk when I leave work", the "when I leave work" request would set a geofence for that reminder.




The 'find my iPhone service' can be left on since it will only use GPS when you try to find your iPhone using another iOS device or the http://www.icloud.com/find service. I have turned off iCloud backup for everything that I don't need. I use Microsoft Exchange to sync my mail, calendars and contacts, and I use xmarks to synchronise my bookmarks, so there is no need to sync these to iCloud.





Posted via DraftCraft app

1 comment:

Darren said...

Here is a little good advice which should allow you to maximise your iOS device battery usage.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html